LinkedIn is THE NUMBER ONE social network for professionals, so why are you treating it like its just an online resume? In this day and age you need to start thinking outside the box. Follow these 5 simple steps and you'll be one step closer to landing that job, earning more clients and closing that deal.
1. Your Profile Picture and Background: Make sure you've got a kick a$$ profile picture and banner. Do you know how often I reject a connection because there's no picture? People want to feel connected and depending on your industry they're also drawn to interesting and quirky photos. So if you're a graphic designer, get creative with your background. In realestate? Get a photo with the nicest home or apt you've sold. Recruiter? get good pic of yourself interviewing someone or speaking at an event.
2. Your professional headline: Keep it interesting, this is where your story begins. Here's an example, Real Estate Agent (boring) | Upper West Side Luxury Real Estate Agent, cha-ching! This gives people an idea you're working with pretty high end placement here. It's important to niche yourself. You may think this is limiting your capabilities, but would you rather work with a client in a $6000/month budget or a $2000/month budget? Get the picture?
3. Summary: Your summary is where you're going to draw in your connections. Stand out from the rest, make it interesting. Be sure to use keywords specific to your industry and make it short and sweet. Lets be honest, peoples attention span are limited these days.
4. Experiences: This is where all the juicy stuff goes, don't just list your responsibilities, tell your story. Educate your reader, treat it like a mini interview & give examples of your success.
5. LinkedIn Blogging Platform: If you're not familiar, Linkedin rolled out their blogging platform to all members a few months ago. It's free, it's searchable and it shows you're a leader in your industry.
These are just a few pointers to help you get started with your professional profile and creating a personal brand, if you haven't read the post on working in keywords to boost your profile make sure you check it out here. Need help optimizing your profile? Shoot me an email, I'll hook you up with a great connection.